Board Meeting Minutes, November 7, 2017, Odell Weeks, Room 1
In attendance were Nancy Vermilye, Jim Kabel, Linda Blake, Joyce Noland, Sally Fuller, Barb Dellamora, Beverly Shaver, Ron Nelson, Loretta and Mike Beckner, Jeff Beckner, Sandy Rowder, Beverly Edwards, Marian Garcia, Faith Loeb, Lisa Campbell, Dick Diemar and Nancy Racki.
Jim Kabel called the meeting to order and promptly began discussion since we may not have enough time complete all of the topics on the agenda. He directed our attention to a wipe erase board of topics to discuss.
- Player information (email addresses, ratings etc) is used for various reasons such as to help establish a distribution of courts during court designation times and to reach out to players with important information through emailings (eBlasts) throughout the year.
- This information is contained in several lists to help manage the pickleball program at Odell Weeks and in some cases throughout the Aiken playing area. Leadership is reviewing the information and lists to ensure efficiency and accuracy. New players and those with updates are asked to provide this information to their player representatives or anyone on the leadership team (See organization chart on the Pickledillys website homepage). Also, there is "Green Ball" link at the top of the Pickledillys homepage where players can enter their information to begin receiving regular eBlasts.
Court Reservation System
- Guidelines were emailed to all players in October. We want to make sure all interested players have an efficient process for reserving courts and for obtaining access to all courts that remain open during reserved hours.
- There will be a change in the time frame for booking of courts beginning December 1, 2017. The time frame will be shortened from fourteen days to one week prior to playing.
Balls Being Used at Odell Weeks
- The leadership team discussed the various balls that are being used on the courts at this time. The City purchases our playing and tournament balls. We will work with the City to try to have in use a single approved brand/type of ball at any one time. This is difficult as standards change but also since good previously purchased or donated balls are still in stock.
NR Ratings Announcement/Ratings Update
- The purpose of rating players is for Court Designation and distribution of players on our six courts.
- As of January 1, 2018, those players who have not been rated will default to a 2.5 player rating. This 2.5 rating will appear on the Player List until an official rating has been performed.
- The Bulletin Board that the City has provided us will have Court Designation times and court assigned ratings.
- Tony Quick is our rater for 4.0 and above players and can rate during nights and weekends. We need to come up with a system to rate during other times of the week. This issue will be discussed at the December meeting.
- Dick Diemar made a recommendation that we consider having a “once a month mix” of 3.0 and 3.5 players. This is also up for discussion at the December meeting.
- There was a wonderful response from the Aiken Pickledillys to volunteer on December 19 at Christmas at Hopeland Gardens. At the time of our meeting, there were two slots still needed to fill as Shuttle Greeter.
- A Meet n Greet Pot Luck social has been scheduled for Friday, November 10 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Jim and Nancy would like players to attend in order to meet the Leadership Team and their Player Reps.
- The Christmas Social is scheduled for Friday, December 15.
- The CPR issue is scheduled to be discussed at the next meeting with the City.
- There has been a security issue at the Odell Weeks parking lot as two cars were broken into.
- Presently, there are a few slots open for the Laura Fenton clinics/lessons.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:20 PM . The next meeting will take place on Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 6:00PM, Odell Weeks, Room 4.
(As a side note: The meeting was later changed to December 11, 2017)